Wednesday 18 June 2008

My First Day of Work

So today was my first day of work. After showering and breakfasting, I made the 45-minute commute across London to Patricia McMahon Photography. It's a short walk, a medium-length tube ride, and a long walk or short bus ride. And very tiring.

There are four account managers, one receptionist and Patricia herself in my office. It's only two rooms, both with a couple desks and workspaces. Today, I did everything from updating photographers' portfolios to calling modeling agencies for updated model directories to looking through a photographer's portfolio and then find magazine advertisements that were similar to his work. It was really neat to see all the photographs; between all the photographers (Patricia represents 8 or 9) they've photographed countless celebrities (Simon Cowell, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Mischa Barton, Kirsten Dunst, Amy Winehouse, etc.) and had works published in Vogue, GQ, Elle, and tons of other magazines. One photographer takes pictures for movie posters, including Wedding Crashers, Elf, Disturbia, Spiderman, High School Musical, and lots of others.

The website is www.patriciamcmahon.com if you want to look at the online portfolios yourself.

I'm pretty sure there is a photo shoot tomorrow, and Patricia said she would take me with her! So exciting.

I'm definitely staying in tonight to get some sleep; I hope I get used to this full-time work schedule thing quickly so I still have energy to see more of London in the evenings.

The only thing getting me through this very long week is Saturday's double decker bus tour of London with lunch at a really cool local restaurant. And Saturday night, I'm going to see "Potted Potter" (a Harry Potter parody play) with my roommate and a few other people from the program in Surrey. I'm sure it will end up being one of the highlights of my trip, haha.

No comments: